Sunday, December 5, 2010

"Roller Skates"

"Roller Skates" by Ruth Sawyer is a wonderful book, which I can say I enjoyed thoroughly. Based on the first couple chapters, I thought it more of a dull and boring book, but the story picked up as it went along, and by the end of the book I was almost in tears. The book takes place in 1890's New York City, where ten year old Lucinda is spending her year while her parents are in Europe. Lucinda quickly makes many friends while staying with Miss Peters, and loves her new life as an "Orphan".  Lucinda goes from being a girl not much concerned with the needs of others, to being a mature and thoughtful girl. She puts on plays, "borrows" friends for the afternoon, and celebrates Thanksgiving and Christmas during the 10 chapters. "Roller Skates" is 186 pages, and the chapters are a nice length. I think that anyone over the age of five would appreciate the story, but really any age would be fine. It is a Newberry, and well written (and those of you who know me know that I love books like that!) At the end they weave in something to make the book - which has become very sad - sweet and touching. I think this book will become a favorite of mine, and I will read it a few more times. I give it 5 stars out of 5! Oh, and one more thing worth adding: the illustrations by Valenti Angelo are simple and beautiful, and are just the kind I like!

Natalia

No comments:

Post a Comment